Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Upcoming Therapy

After becoming ever-increasingly frustrated by the lack of resources for autistic kids in the state of WA, I have decided to take this bull called "autism" by the horns. I will not sit by and let my son become a social vegetable, stimming and spinning wheels to a mindless rhythm in addition to his many other redundant behaviors. I will not sit back and let Kyle grow up in a world, knowing only the language of babble and echolalia. I won't. I refuse. As much as I love his sense of humor, the way he laughs at the silliest things, I won't let them rob him of true joy and potential. If this society does not want to help my child, I will help him myself. I can't wait on standby until resources come. I don't have the time to stir for them. I don't have time to battle insurance companies. I don't have time to work three jobs to pay for the best therapist money can buy. Every second, minute, hour is time lost. I will fight until I don't have any fight left.  I will become the therapist. I will treat my son. That is my decision. That is my direction, and this is OUR future. This is autism. God willing, my son will speak. He will write. He will laugh when everybody else laughs. He will cry when everybody else cries. He will have friends and, yes, he will walk down next to his brother and receive his diploma.     
 
I have more books to read than I read in four years of college. I have recently taught myself how to speed read so I am not wasting precious time. I'm considering two options and here they are: 
 
1) ABA Therapy. I know I said I didn't like it in the past, but I'm reconsidering now. Why? It's time tested and reliable. That is what I need. Reliability. It's a little more structured than I would like, and more than you would know, but it's still worth considering. I'm currently reading "Let Me Hear Your Voice" by Catherine Maurice. It's a mother's account of ABA and autism for her daughter.
 
2) Pivotal Response Treatment. This is a spin off of ABA therapy, and uses natural environments to teach children ABA type principals, instead of the structured and regimented style of ABA itself. Children are the implementers of their interests, instead of therapists defining what they get to interact with. The rewards are internal ( i.e. getting to continue play), rather than external like ABA (i.e. cookie, cracker). 
 
So far, those are the ONLY two I'm considering. I've read tons of materials on other therapies and am researching these for now. I'll let you know what I decide to do. Then I'll go into more detail about it.  
 
 
--
~Nate.

No comments: